How To Replace The Fuel Spider/Fuel Pressure Regulator on a GM 4.3/5.7 V6/V8

I replace the fuel spider in my 1999 GMC Sierra 4.3 liter V6. The fuel spider also includes the fuel pressure regulator, which is another common point of failure. If you have any questions just post a comment and I’ll try to help. If you find the video helpful please remember to like/favorite it!
Video Rating: 4 / 5

Be Sociable, Share!

25 Responses to “How To Replace The Fuel Spider/Fuel Pressure Regulator on a GM 4.3/5.7 V6/V8”

• Nick Stageberg says:

Great!

• fzumrk2000 says:

Nick: Thanks for the video. I am not much of a mechanic, but your instructions gave me the confidence to tackle this job!

Here are some of the details of my situation:
    ’96 GMC Sierra 1500 V8 5.7 liter 250K
    Started to get difficult to start when the weather turned cold. Eventually would not start at all.
    Engine would crank fine but would only sputter a few times and would not run.
    Fuel pressure test showed internal fuel leak. Replaced the fuel spider and now it runs fine.

• jmiles1960 says:

Nick, my engine is a 97 4.3 Vortec with the newer CSEFI fuel spider (according to Haynes). If I’m getting spark to #3 cyl and the #3 misfire code, I’m assuming it is the spider (fuel injection system) failing. I can’t draw any other conclusion and testing the spider without disassembly doesn’t seem feasible. 200k+ on the original engine. I hope replacing the spider assy fixes the misfire! Thanks for your video and help. – Jim

• Nick Stageberg says:

Not that I am aware of unfortunately. If you have the old spider design and 100k+ miles with a misfire on a specific cylinder I think there is a very good chance the spider is the issue.

• jmiles1960 says:

Nick, is there anyway to confirm the operation of the fuel spider (injectors) before replacing the unit? I am getting an code “Cyl 3 Misfire”. Replaced plugs and wires as they were 100k+. Still getting error code. I suspect injector assy is the point of failure. 200k on engine. Any advice would be appreciated. I was going to replace the fuel spider and hope this solves the problem. #3 plug does not look “wet” with fuel when removed after running. Thanks!

• Nick Stageberg says:

The prices vary very widely. I had a v6 (smaller than a v8) and got what appeared to be a home-remanufactured unit off of ebay, I think it was about one quarter the cost of what an auto parts store wanted for one.

• jessica beichner says:

how much on average does a new fuel spider unit cost?

• jeffro516 says:

disco that hose the brake booster to blow in the smoke engine off of course

• jeffro516 says:

just to reemphasize what you said about that fuel meter body sticking to the plenum. i had to push down on mine as well and pull up on the intake plenum to get it off. Also when i finished my work and put the plenum back on, i inadvertinly broke the fuel meter body gasket and creaked a vacuum leak! make sure to replace that gasket it if necessary. to confirm it, blow some cigar smoke into the intake and watch it come up from around that fuel injector connector on the meter body.

• Nick Stageberg says:

Thanks I’m glad you found it helpful!

• ect3dbgt3 says:

Thanks for the hint that it’s not attached in any way to the plenum. I held down the fuel meter body and then lifted the plastic cover, which it then separated from the fuel meter. I’m good now. Thanks again and the video has been very helpful as well as much appreciated!

• Nick Stageberg says:

I would say it is extremely likely like your fuel pressure regulator has failed and is leaking fuel into the engine. The fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel spider.

• Nick Stageberg says:

Could be many things. I would look at the throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, potential vacuum leaks, and if you haven’t done a tune up recently (spark plugs, wires, distributor) I would definitely look at that as well.

• Nick Stageberg says:

The fuel spider isn’t attached to the plenum in any way so I’m not sure why you would be seeing it come up like that. You have all the fuel lines disconnected right?

• ect3dbgt3 says:

I’m stuck at removing the uppper plastic part of the intake manifold (plenum is what I think you called it?). It lifts up slightly, but something is holding it down/the fuel meter/spider comes up with it. What’s the trick to free the fuel spider from the plenum? From what I can tell, I’ve removed all the bolts holding down that plastic cover. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any hint(s) that you can provde..

• AllKindsOfFooty says:

I got a 1996 blazer and sometimes it sputters and run real rough , but sometimes it runs perfect , what could it be?

• hijaquan1015 says:

please call 215-788-2298

• tank2449 says:

I have a 93 jimmy its the 4.3 it has a really bad gas leak so gas goes into the oil. I took it to a mechanic and he said to change the oil every couple weeks.. im very dissapointed in that. but could it just be the spyder?

• Nick Stageberg says:

I would check the MAF and TPS

• Nick Stageberg says:

Hm that’s a tough one. I wouldn’t suspect the fuel pressure regulator personally. It sounds like it may be dying once it warms up and goes into closed loop mode. I would connect a scan tool and see if the fuel trims go crazy. For example, if you have a failed o2 sesnor or MAF that might cause the computer to cut fuel by 99% which would cause the engine to stall.

• mocowboy85 says:

my 98 4.3 wont start on its own, and when i’m driving if i floor it it chokes out and acts like its starving any ideas? just put new wires n plugs. message me at dustinsutton25@gmail.com please and thank you

• tony sandoval says:

hi i think i got a problem with the fuel presure regulator ..i have a chevy silverado 1997 5.7l 4×4 and i turn on and it stay like 1 or 2 minuts and shut off and i think is the regulador cuz when i keep pushing gas it dont shut off please if you have idea what is the problem tell me please thanks

• Husnain2580Hussain says:

allama qurashi cured me and my family i was affected by black magic allamas number is 07961186726 or +447961186726 or email allamaqurashi@Hotmail.co.uk

• Nick Stageberg says:

Yikes, not sure man. Did it start back up or die forever?

• Nick Stageberg says:

No missfires, I was having poor performance all around and I had already done spark plugs, wires, rotor, which left fuel.